Note : You are in Page 4 (Hai-Phong City), start with Page 1.
- Page 1 – Halong Bay
- Page 2 – Cat Ba Island
- Page 3 – Halong City
- Page 4 – Hai-Phong City
- Hai-Phong city – Maps – Orientation
- How is Hai-Phong city ?
- How to Arrive to Hai-Phong city ?
- How to Move inside Hai-Phong city ?
- Where to Stay in Hai-Phong city ? – Hotels
- How is the Climate in Hai-Phong city ?
- What to Eat in Hai-Phong city ?
- Where to go out at Night in Hai-Phong city ?
- What to Visit in Halong city ?
Hai-Phong City- Orientation – Maps
Map 1 :
Map 2 :
Map 3 :
Interactive Map : Tourist attractions + Transport
- Points in Red : Transport
- Points in Blue : Tourist Attractions
Map 4 :
Map 5 :
How is Hai-Phong City ?
A big city, the fourth in Vietnam. It is an industrial city with a port (the port is along the river).
Hai-Phong has no tourist attractions and no tourists (I found 1 nice Pagoda). Hai-Phong is usually a transit point for tourists on their way to a sail in Halong Bay (because there is an airport and there is a train station with trains from Hanoi).
The fact that there are no tourists in town is fun in a certain way, the locals are greeting the few tourists with “Hello”. The city center is quite pleasant, also at night.
To sum up Hai-Phong is a normal Vietnamese city with:
Its schools :
With chickens on the intersections :
Customers having a haircut :
And people cooking a fish, on the road :
How to Arrive to Hai-Phong City ?
I have described it on the first page, how to arrive to Halong Bay area.
How to Move in Hai-Phong City ?
By foot :
If you are living in the center, you can walk.
By Taxi or Grab :
Grab is functioning well in Hai-Phong, including the motorbikes
There are some buses in town, I am not sure that a tourist who comes for 1 or 2 days, need them.
Where to Stay in Hai-Phong City ? – Hotels
Let’s look again on the City Map :
The concentration of hotels may look like this :
Option 1 : The City Center (marked as 1 on the Map)
This is the obvious option. You will be near the restaurants and the animated streets, you will not need to use any transport. When I looked for an hotel in this zone, I found that the economic hotels were receiving low scores by the guests and so I chose an hotel in zone 2.
I guess that the low scores is due to low competition in a city without tourists.
Options 2 and 3 : A little bit further from the center (marked as 2 and 3 on the Map)
On the road that lead to the airport (which is 5 Km away), there are some hotels near a water canal (in what I call zone 2). There are here some good economic hotels like Punt hotel. You can still walk from here to the town center or better use the Grab motorbike service (like I did). Also in zone 3, near a lake there are some good hotels (but from here, you must use transportation).
See Hotels in Hai-Phong city. After you click and fill the dates, you will see a Map icon. Click on the Map icon and look for hotels in the zone you want. The Map is a great way to search for the right hotel (you immediately see the price and the score received by visitors).
How is the Climate in Hai-Phong city ?
See the first page : How is the climate in Halong Bay.
What to Eat in Hai-Phong City ?
The culinary situation here is better than in Halong city, at least for Vegetarians who like western food.
There is a good Indian restaurant called Indian Kitchen, located in the center.
There is a Tex-Mex restaurant with decent Pizza called Texas BBQ.
As always, if you are not vegetarian, you can eat other stuff :
Where to go out at Night in Hai-Phong City ?
There are no tourists in Hai-Phong so don’t expect a nightlife scene like in Hanoi or Hoi-An or Saigon.
Just walk in the animated streets, in the center, like everybody else.
What to Visit in Hai-Phong City ?
Walk and see the Opera building :
The river :
There is also a museum about the city, if you insist :
Pagoda – “Pho-Chieu”
There is a nice Pagoda, not far from the center. It is located near a polluted lake.
The pollution of the lake, gives nice reflection for the photos :
The Pagoda is nice but there are so many of them in Vietnam so I am not sure you should specifically arrive to Hai-Phong in order to see it.
But if you are already in the city, come to visit :
How to get there ?
Located 1 to 2 Km from the City center. See on the Maps above.
I did it, on the return way
By Taxi or Grab (car or motorbike)
I did it
Now, Continue To :
- How to Visit Vietnam ? – Transport, Best Time, Priorities…
- How to Reserve : Trains, Buses and Flights in Vietnam ?
- How much does it Cost to Visit Vietnam? Common Prices
- How to get a Visa for Vietnam ?
- Where to Stay, What to Visit, How to Arrive to :
- How is the Internet in Vietnam ?
- Is it Safe to visit Vietnam?
- What to Pack for the trip to Vietnam ?
- Bangkok – What to Visit, Where to Stay, Transport…
- The Islands in Thailand – Which one to choose, Where to stay, How to arrive ?
- Chiang Mai – What to Visit, Where to Stay, Transport…
- Pattaya city – What to Visit, Where to Stay, Transport…
- What to Pack ? the visual list that will help you prepare the suitcase.
- Visit my Vegetarian Page. Why be Vegetarian ? What to eat ?
- Visit my Salsa Dance Page. Salsa main Styles. Why Dance Salsa ?
- See City Information about 2 more cool cities: Barcelona and Tel-Aviv.
- Listen to nice Songs with translation in French, Spanish, Italian, Hebrew.
- Listen to basic Words In Spanish, French, Hebrew
If you find incorrect data on this page, like a restaurant that has closed or a big river that has moved or you want to tell me something, please write me to contact.